Yes, Brussels Sprouts! butter? or anchovies?

Welcome Forums Vicki’s blog Yes, Brussels Sprouts! butter? or anchovies?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vicki
    Keymaster

we hated them as kids, referred to them as “baby cabbages” and refused, if we could get by with doing so, (for my sister, that was either hiding them, or chewing for hours) – but i have come to appreciate them in a very different way (read: NOT BOILED!) over the years.  I first discovered the caramelized version at Boca (see them in restaurant section) – their signature dish – served with one perfect scallop, which are truly sautéed in butter forever, to die for, decadent (tons and tons of butter) – but i have to admit to having made them many times after discovering the “secret recipe” (read more).

My dear friend Grant gave me a subscription to Milk Street for x-mas – and sent me home with a copy.  while planning x-mas dinner (another road trip – see trunk turkey) i encountered an intriguing recipe in my new magazine – including white anchovies (but i must digress, i encountered THESE lovely things in a cooking class years ago with a Cincinnati chef, who explained that there were GOOD anchovies and BAD anchovies (read: those gray things on a pizza) and passed them around to the class).  I made them for x-mas and even my son-in-law (an accomplished cook, to say the least) asked for the recipe.  i made them again (much better) for New Years Eve – and i’m hooked – much lighter (garlic, lemon juice, red pepper) and still SO much flavor!   have added the recipe here.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Vicki.
      grantfritch
      Participant

I am willing to give these little green monsters one more try.  I think I was damaged by my mother’s bad cooking.  Char makes everything yummy.  :  )

Vicki
        Keymaster

char DOES make everything yummy!   as does butter!  😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.