wishing for a Nonna

Welcome Forums Vicki’s blog wishing for a Nonna

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Vicki
    Keymaster

So, I think I mentioned that I watched a couple of episodes of “unique eats” – and one that caught my eye was an Italian restaurant in NY that had a series of “Nonna’s” (Italian Grammas) as chefs – I’d guess they just rotate and work as many days as they want.   They had a couple of them describe the legendary family dishes they were cooking, and with my new infatuation with chicken thighs – I liked a “drunken chicken” one that was featured by a Northern Italian Nonna.   Of course I took tiny notes on a post-it note and tried to decipher them a week later 🙂

So last night, I put some color on 2 thighs in some brown butter, added onions and some ingredient that MIGHT have been chili powder LOL, then a half bottle of French Burgundy (interesting choice for an Italian), some oregano (my add) and a sprig of rosemary (yes, living in Cinci for the first winter I still have rosemary!!) – I then braised it for about 40 ish minutes, removed from oven, removed the thighs and reduced the sauce with dried chanterelles added – it was supposed to be porcini but I didn’t have any.  I thought of throwing some porcini bouillon (that I bought in Italy), but didn’t want to confuse the shrooms.

Thighs on a plate, spoon sauce over, added some creamy polenta (ok, it was white, so it was really grits, my amazon polenta finally showed up just a few days ago), forgot to garnish it with parsley and enjoyed with a glass of the red wine used.   Not Chef Jenn’s poblano and roasted tomato fabulous, but pretty darn tasty all the same.   Still wishing for a Nonna tho 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Vicki.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.