will the real bolognese….

Welcome Forums Vicki’s blog will the real bolognese….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Vicki
    Keymaster

…please stand up!

Sometime last year, I was having wine on the phone with Kim (then in AZ) and she said she was making bolognese – it sounded good, so I thawed some ground bison (a fave and healthy substitute) and proceeded to make (from my head and experimental nature) what I thought was bolo as well.   super yummy meat sauce for pasta, which I enjoyed immensely but as  I learned this weekend, was NOT Bolognese.  Since then, Lisa and I have made a habit of going to Forno Osteria+Bar on Tuesdays – as it’s “bolo” night where we sit at the bar and take advantage of the salad and bolo special – can you say ADDICTING?  Missing this tradition, I’ve been craving it of late and decided to make some.

Doing my normal “research” this time (where I typically look at several recipes and then make one up, taking bits that I like from each – I learned a lot.  Ragù all bolognese – which, of course originated  in Bologna, Italy, differs from other Italian meat sauces primarily as it’s cooked with MILK (yes, milk!) In addition, it has very simple ingredients and must be cooked for 4-5 hours (1-2 before even adding the tomato paste or puree) to reach that “bolo consistency”.

After doing my research, in this case, one recipe seemed to be quite perfect, so I just went with it. It was totally great.   While I tweaked it by using ground bison again – and couldn’t resist adding a tad bit of minced garlic – otherwise I followed pretty well for a change and couldn’t be more pleased.  shared of course and sent pics making Lisa’s (now in AZ)  mouth water!   YUM!

recipe link

a darn near perfect bite!

sweating the soffritto, then cooking meat in milk, and finally adding all ingredients after 1-2 hours

s    

note the difference in consistency after it cooks for then ANOTHER 3 hours!

dinner (and lunch) is served!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Vicki.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.