the Life of an Onion

Welcome Forums Vicki’s blog the Life of an Onion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vicki
    Keymaster

….. or multiple onions in this case.   I cannot begin to tell you all I’ve learned in school, but I’m going to focus now on one wonderful discovery!  this weekend I worked on perfecting the bone broth we started in LAB on Friday (and left there to cook for hours – this will be covered in a separate blog) AND caramelized onions.   First I’ve been caramelizing onions for years (think Blake House Salad) – but never knew that you could make this so sweet they taste like candy!   YEP!  CANDY! if you slice them paper thin, throw them in the pan with copious amounts of BUTTER (doesn’t have to be clarified as heat stays low) and turn the flame on so low that you almost think they are not cooking (after an initial first few minutes to get them going) – you can then cook them for 1-4 hours – YES FOUR HOURS – and the longer you cook them, the sweeter they get – really!

My first batch (2.5 onions)  started late Saturday afternoon – and after 2 1/2 hours, I tasted them and they were SO SWEET, that I started picking them out of the pan with my fingers – and ended up eating 80% of them!  pics below.  I started another batch Sunday afternoon (3.5 onions – you see how much they shrink!)and controlled myself to get a full 4 hours into them – because I had to see how far this could go!  unbelievable! they are almost like a jam. I’m wondering if this should become another fridge staple, like the mayo and pickled shallots.  the French onion soup today will be most amazing!   pics of that later!

Round 1 – Saturday

Round 2 – Sunday

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Vicki.
      • This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Vicki.
      grantfritch
      Participant

These onions are magic!  I like to put them in almost everything.  Thanks for the reminder.  Looking forward to seeing the FOS.  I think that is on the menu this week here in Chicago too.

Vicki
        Keymaster

yes!    I’ve been busy – but making the soup today! (along with Yucatan-is).  ur French onion soup is the best already – but if you make the onions even sweeter with extra caramelization, I can only imagine how awesome it will be!!   YUM!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.