short rib shootout :-)

Welcome Forums Vicki’s blog short rib shootout :-)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Vicki
    Keymaster

Ok, as I’m cooking my way through my freezer, I chose 3 lbs of short ribs on Saturday night.  I was torn between using an old recipe from Jenn DiSanto (a fave dayton chef who taught many DLM cooking classes that I loved) and trying something with bourbon.  I ended up splitting the ribs and sautéed veggies halfway through into 2 dutch ovens and did a shootout between Jenn’s zinfandel braised short ribs and honey bourbon short ribs (roughly followed advice from “cookie rookie“) with a honey bourbon glaze and drumroll…. BACON!  both turned out pretty darn well and I shared both with my next door neighbors and included some in a foodie care package I made for my friend Kim (who just moved in the midst of all of this and furniture was delivered to the new house just yesterday – how crazy is THEIR life?)….. and yes, complying with social distancing and now OH’s shelter in place – both of these were delivered to porches in front of closed doors. Also made the Yucatanish soup to send a large container to Kim, and some croutons for chicken Caesar – as well as some leftovers from previous posts.  Happy unpacking Kim!

We all tried the ribs last evening. Carrie liked the zinfandel, Joe couldn’t decide and made gnocchi to accompany them, Kim preferred the honey bourbon (but declared both “the bomb”), Mike liked both and they ate them alone shortly after the “drop”.  I came home and made garlic, truffle mashed potatoes for mine and while both were keepers, I think I’m breaking the tie and going with Jenn’s tried and true Zinfandel ones – accompanied by glass of zin leftover from scaling back the recipe.  Enough ribs left for me to have lunch today!

My shootout plate and Carrie’s zinfandel with gnocchi below!    all declared very YUM!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Vicki.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Vicki.
      grantfritch
      Participant

Was there a 3rd photo?  Can’t see it.  When you get time, please share the receipt.  I’m heading to WholeFoods tomorrow morning.  This looks great!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.