Pondering the Po’ Boy

Welcome Forums Vicki’s blog Pondering the Po’ Boy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vicki
    Keymaster

ok, continuing on the NOLA theme (I totally have this one down for one of my themed workshops or meals in your home when it’s safe to do so again! drat this virus messes with more than my head!) and utilizing the awesome Birthday Gift from my “kids” (darling daughter and hubby), I thawed out some more crawfish, a few shrimp, did my research, as usual, to create my recipe and set out to make Shrimp and Crawfish Po’ Boys.

Well I learned some things to say the least.  after marinating the seafood in buttermilk and Crystal hot sauce overnight, I rolled them in seasoned flour and they fried up quite nicely (even some of those tiny extra crawfish bits :-). so far so good.

It said to use French bread, so I’d bought a French baguette (which btw, I’ve found last quite well in my wax reusable bags!  score!). I split it and toasted lightly, added my remoulade sauce (on the recipe page) to one side and mayo to the other, tomatoes, pickles and arugula (do I really have to buy a whole head of iceberg lettuce for this?).   it was quite yummy …… but

I learned that the bread should be crustier, but lighter on the outside and definitely light on the inside – the baguette was too dense.  More importantly, I learned that you need to dry the pickle slice (and one is sufficient), and get as much water as possible out of the tomato – as I had some dripping and soggy bread.

With the right bread, I know I can now make a Perfect Po’ Boy bite the next time (ok, and maybe I’ll splurge on iceberg!). See my journey below!

Seafood – marinate and fry:

Assembly:

The final product:

grantfritch
      Participant

Looks great.  One trick I do when I don’t want all that bread is to carve out some of it so that it has less of a presents.  I’ve seen many people do this on bagels, tear out the soft center for more room for lox, capers, onions & tomatos.

Keep it up!  Grant

Vicki
        Keymaster

good idea grant – I slipped out to Whole Foods this morning and got a much softer bread that should crisp up nicely and I’m making another one for lunch today (and the air fryer will crisp up those seafood bites perfectly!   🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.