I’m in love with duck fat (and smoking)

Welcome Forums Vicki’s blog I’m in love with duck fat (and smoking)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vicki
    Keymaster

wow – 5 weeks is the longest I’ve gone without blogging in a year and a half!  SO sorry – but here’s what’s been going on; we finished up the semester, had a week off, new semester started (Garde Manger – oh I have SO much to tell you – I LOVE this class/lab) and I realized my other classes were starting later (this past week) and I threw myself into yard work evenings and w/e’s – which I thought would not get done at all this year … the garden is lovely and all of this rain has the tomatoes and peppers growing like weeds!!  so not much cooking at home or time to blog – that’s changing now!

But before I catch up on all – last night I cooked my first duck breast at home – we had “fabricated” him in class on Monday, which just means cut him up (no feathers or head for those of you I used the work butcher with, just looked like a whole chicken you would buy at Kroger), and smoked one of his breasts on Wednesday (along with some salmon, bacon, some brined shrimp and a Carolina rub pork butt for the whole class, – YUM!).  no cooked food brought home this week (saving for some other classes) but I brought his uncooked wings and tenderloins home as well as the other breast which had been brined.  After cooking the breast last night by just searing and then finishing in the oven, I cooked some potato wedges in the duck fat – YUM!!    wow!!  served with Calabrian chili aioli of course – I repeat YUM!!

the fries – YUM!

the fat rendering from the skin (skin side down first)

the plate:

The garden (tomatoes and peppers on the left, herbs on the right) new fence to keep Lucy and the deer out:

grantfritch
      Participant

Love you and your duck fat!  Garden looks great.  Did you plant your regular?

Vicki
        Keymaster

yes, tomatoes, peppers (no ghost, but I DID get a scorpion), tons of herbs, 2 squash plants, some Swiss chard, ok I enlarged it a bit!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.