Elotes & Mole

Welcome Forums Vicki’s blog Elotes & Mole

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Vicki
    Keymaster

Elotes – Mexican Street Corn – (do I feel a Mexican theme coming back here?   oh yeah, maybe a patio workshop!)

I’ve been a fan for years – what’s not to like about it – creamy, cheesy grilled corn?????

It varies a lot from place to place, but I’ve had great versions in Mexico, Jacksonville, FL (a fave lunch spot for some of my employees in a past job), and even airports!   SO, of course I had to make my own (and even more of course, I’ve seen some good versions on these new food shows I’m watching) and my friend Lisa sent me a pic of one she discovered and loved in AZ recently.   and remember that fascination I’ve had with those shrimp taco’s lately?   what pairs better!

so I’ve made it a few times lately – and it’s one of those things you just can’t get enough of – and it goes with so many things (and before this obsession, I really didn’t eat all that much corn, but when you find the thing that makes it YUMMY! well, that’s a whole new chapter).   I don’t have many pics except as a side dish

Mole – I’ve always liked Mole, but not in LOVE, LOVE with it – but in Puerto Vallarta I had green mole for the first time at a fabulous restaurant (El Mole de Jovita – yes, with his family recipes passed down) and I fell in love with it.  and then I made those post it notes from a tv show about a great authentic Mole!  So the night before the girls were coming down (my first outdoor entertaining), I made both traditional mole (again, copying something I saw on tv), and green mole (from i’net research) and then a version of the green mole with pistachios (helllloooo??)

I was serving shrimp taco’s, and tri-tip taco’s and Mexican street corn – and just put these on the side for the latter.   they were good, but I was not over the moon with my first attempts (thought I put too much of those toasted seeds in there?) am I over thinking it?

but as the traditional mole made a ton, I not only sent it home with two guests, last night I made a chicken and mole sauce dish and some “what’s in the fridge” mexican-ish rice.  that turned out way better than I expected for just making shit up!

even more satisfying – I spoke with Kim today (who took some home – and just moved back from 18 years in AZ) and her hubby – who has eaten tons of mole at work in AZ prepared by authentic cooks –  said it was really good, tho if anything could even have had MORE chocolate in it – I’ll take this as a HUGE compliment for my first try!)

random pics below:

Elotes

Lisa’s restaurant version – nice cut and presentation and potentially fun to eat (I’d not seen that version before)!

traditional and green mole

my mole chicken and rice last night

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Vicki.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Vicki.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.