Back to the Bites

Welcome Forums Vicki’s blog Back to the Bites

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Vicki
    Keymaster

Wow – it’s been over a year and a half now – MY HUMBLE APOLOGIES, and it was heartening to learn that more people were reading them than I thought!  Long story short, I was just overwhelmed with full time school on top of my day job, which evolved into also a 2nd job (co-op for Culinary program) at the awesome Tablespoon in Findlay Market and I’ve just stayed “too busy” to get it going again (It’s like working out, once you lapse, that first time back is the TOUGH one!).

QUICK update – I graduated in June, and I’m sitting here in Ghent, Belgium at the home of a dear friend (they are out at a party) and thought my culinary adventures during this trip might be worth kicking my butt back into gear.  There are SO, SO, SO many great “bites” I’ve made and/or eaten in the last year and a half, I know I’ll never document most of them.  Tonight, I cooked dinner with my friend David and we made home-made egg rolls (in spring roll wrappers, all we could get, but we tried frying them as an experiment – I would not recommend it), home-made sweet n sour sauce, wasabi slaw, spicy green beans and shrimp pad thai – most were happy tho the teenage girls didn’t eat much. We forgot to take picsI I met the 18 year old when she was only days old and still in the hospital. So many teenagers to visit on this trip – most of whom I held when they were babies.  It’s been too long since I’ve been to what used to be my “home away from home”.

The best bite that I’ve had this month was not of my own hand, but at Boca in Cinci before seeing  Moulin Rouge and it was awesome – Cappellacci di Giano – home made pasta with Spring Pea, Butter Poached Lobster, Lemon.  YUM

The last thing I made at home that was super yummy was my first experiment with octopus – bought from a fish vendor in Findlay market – added some shrimp and snow crab, went home and made pasta limone and had a lovely sat evening dinner!  YUM!

also reminds me of when we had fresh live lobsters to cook in class last semester (part of capstone – the final class, and I had lobster to bring home that was best if eaten very soon – so I made pasta limone for that too!  that was to die for!

It’s Sunday morning now and I’m off to Antwerp with Elli to see more old friends and will remember to take pics of the food we eat.  We’re having fries tonight (NO ONE makes fries like the Belgians!)   Can’t wait!  then some good Ghent restaurants for the next few days.  did I say YUM!?   so good to be back!  Belgium, I missed you so!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.